Thursday, December 19, 2013

Attention

It is probably due to my family background that I prefer to be alone in the quiet instead of being with too many people. Sometimes i just find it so tiring, trying so hard to express myself. Shouting and screaming for attention but nobody seems to ever hear me. Maybe that's why I prefer to talk to one person at a time cause it is so much easier to communicate.. like having just a few people trying to shout out their point itself is so chaotic. It's as though everybody is fighting to be heard and one have to be loud, have to shout, scream just so he would be heard, just so he wouldn't become invisible to everyone else around him, just so he wouldn't be forgotten, neglected, ignored, rejected.



Today, our minds are filled with so many thoughts and ideas it become so difficult for us to focus on one thing at a time, it become so difficult for us to just listen to what one person have to say, with 100% attention, without looking at something else, without thinking about anything else.

When I was younger, I was taught to look people in the eye when I talk to them. But now, I barely look at their general direction. When I think about how I have changed, I can't help but feel sad about it. 

Especially after reading this 2 sentences from "Have A Little Faith" by Mitch Albom. 
"I found I could share everything with Reb. He had a way of looking you in the eye and making you feel the world had stopped an you are all that was in it." 

I never really understood how looking someone in the eye would show that I;m paying attention cause for all the speaker may know, I might just be daydreaming while staring his face or something. But I realized how looking into people's eyes when they talk is so important today. With the world being increasingly fast moving and us being so caught up with everything out there, it just becomes so rare for people to focus on one thing at a time, and when they do, the feeling for the speaker is probably as magical as seeing an unicorn or something. (LOL bad joke but I hope yo get what I mean)



I remember reading from a book, it went something like , people shout not because they are far away from each other, it is because their hearts are distant, they have to shout in order to be heard by each other. When their hearts are close together, they don't even have to talk to know what each other is feeling, they know it by a blink of an eye, or just a look. 

So, have you really listened to someone today? Or did you just act as though you did? 

photo credits to google

No comments: